Experiencing several issues with my 610 unit. | Bug Reporting | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Experiencing several issues with my 610 unit.
January 13, 2012
5:41 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

No, the number of caches should not slow down it booting up, I routinely have over 8,000 caches with photos loaded.

As far as fumbling with the cable and mount, if you are using the Magellan mount throw it away and get a RAM mount!

Go here to see my report on the - RAM mount.
I even have a video of putting my 710 into & out of the mount.

My report is near the bottom of page three of that thread.

I've been using the Ram mount for 9 months now, except for the rollers rattling a bit (an easy thing to fix) I'm very happy with it.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
January 12, 2012
11:39 pm
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 280

phild31 wrote:

....Perhaps if the maps are on internal memory instead of the SD card it's slowing it down?

No - all maps are on the SD card as came with the unit. And I regularly clear the active tracks. What I do have though is over 5,000 caches with photos, loaded at any one time. However the unit should be able to take twice that amount of data and still operate efficiently. So I hope no-one tells me that I have too much data loaded, otherwise what's the point of having a unit that can hold so much data. That is one of the reasons that I went for the 610 instead of the Oregon.

I too found once that I got slightly better battery life by having the battery setting on "Alkaline" when using Rechargeables. I am going to try that again with the next set of rechargeables that I put into the unit to see if it was just my imagination or not.
I try to extend the life of the battery by connecting the vehicle power adapter as soon as I get back in the car - but that as most know is a bit of a hastle in its own right :angry: There are a lot of scratches around the mini USB jack of the unit where I have been fumbling trying to get that blasted connector in 🙁

January 12, 2012
1:58 am
Jaker
Members
Forum Posts: 61

SEE THE POST --Frustrating First Morning With A New 710

Supposedly, there is a bug in the implemented voltage curve and by choosing the
Alkaline setting for rechargeables it will better serve you than choosing the rechargeable
setting.

I am now using the Alkaline setting on my 610 and using rechargable Duracells with an improved overall battery life as near as I can tell.

January 11, 2012
10:03 pm
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 75

Then, in my opinion, your device is faulty.

BR
Sondre

January 11, 2012
9:40 pm
Lucky-Lizard
Members
Forum Posts: 18

sondre wrote:

One small thing: You have set the Power setting to "Rechargeables" ?
I believe the default is "Lithium".

Yep, the battery type is indeed set to rechargeables.

On a sidenote, I've noticed an increasing amount of consumer electronics with that feature, namely the 3 different models of digital camera we have around the house all have a menu setting for different battery types.

January 11, 2012
9:00 pm
sondre
Members

phild31 wrote:

My 710 takes less than a minute to boot up.
Sometimes, maybe 1 in 20 times it re-indexes data, then it takes about 2 or 3 minutes to boot up.

Perhaps if the maps are on internal memory instead of the SD card it's slowing it down?

What really slows down the indexing is many/long tracks. I had that on my unit an the indexing time was horrible. I have cleaned my unit for all those tracks and now the indexing goes really fast.

BR
Sondre

January 11, 2012
8:56 pm
sondre
Members

One small thing: You have set the Power setting to "Rechargeables" ?
I believe the default is "Lithium".
I friend of mine complained about very short runtime on the same kind of batteries I use myself. It turned out that he had not changed this setting. Since the voltage of rechargeables is very different from lithiums, the device goes down very quickly when this setting is incorrect.

With "screen brightness is at 50% and the backlight is set to turn itself off in 10 seconds" you should get much more than 2-3 hours of run time (given that the power setting have been set correctly).

Have a look at this: http://www.exploristforum.com/.....=1026#3078

BR
Sondre

January 11, 2012
7:47 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 677

Let me ask and see what they say.

Edited - I guess you have to learn to type and spell all over when you switch from a computer to a tablet.

January 11, 2012
6:31 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564

I almost never power down or go to suspend, the best battery life with rechargeable batteries I get is 3-4 hours, that's with Sanyo 2400 mAh rechargeables.
The Infinicells got 2-3 and so did the Sony.
I tried about a dozen different rechargeable battery brands, all new, and the Sanyo Eneloop were the best rechargeables I tried.
For non-rechargeable Duracell were the best alkaline - 7 to 8 hours.
Energizer lithiums gave me the best times - 10 to 12 hours.

Of course battery life is totally dependent on use and temperature, your mileage may vary.

My 710 takes less than a minute to boot up.
Sometimes, maybe 1 in 20 times it re-indexes data, then it takes about 2 or 3 minutes to boot up.

Perhaps if the maps are on internal memory instead of the SD card it's slowing it down?

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
January 11, 2012
5:30 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 280

Lucky-Lizard wrote:

I'm suspecting I've got a faulty unit. During an afternoon of caching, the unit is on at all times and after 2-3 hours, the batteries need to be replaced.

I don't think you have a faulty unit. It behaves like many others who use their GPSr hard.
If you are on a 12 mile hike and have just one WPT loaded and simply look at your GPSr from time to time to see that you are on track, then I would suspect that the battery life will last a lot longer compared to when you are on a caching run where you change screens around 10 times within a few minutes, maybe using the voice recorder, zooming in and out to see the details of where you are going and then maybe take a photo or two etc.

My gripe with the unit is that when I change the batteries, it takes forever to boot up! My friends with Garmins can change the batteries in their units while walking to a cache which maybe just 100 metres away and have it operating well before they are within a few metres of GZ. If I have to change batteries in my unit in those conditions, I would not see it operating until we were back in the car and half way to the next cache :woohoo: Why does it take so long to boot-up!

January 11, 2012
5:05 am
Lucky-Lizard
Members

soleful2001 wrote:

Some of the experts may have better advice, but I suspect powering down and back up uses more energy than pulling your unit in and out or suspend mode.

I'm suspecting I've got a faulty unit. During an afternoon of caching, the unit is on at all times and after 2-3 hours, the batteries need to be replaced. At first I though maybe my batteries were the culprit, but I even tried a set of batteries from my friend's Oregon GPS and they were drained after a couple of hours as well.

January 11, 2012
3:47 am
soleful2001
Members
Forum Posts: 91

Wow Lucky Lizard I know that must be a pain getting such crappy battery life. While I am not impressed with my 610's battery life either, I get anywhere from 8-10 hours on Alkalines or the cheap Energizer rechargeables. Two weeks ago on a 12 mile overnight hike, I got eight hours out of two generic alkalines. I used my unit to take a couple of pics, mark waypoints, and record a memo. I would say 2/3 suspend and 1/3 actual use. At home the other day, I tested my unit on two rechargeables and got 11 hours, taking no pictures, but frequently unsuspending it and checking the screen, set to 20 seconds time out.

Some of the experts may have better advice, but I suspect powering down and back up uses more energy than pulling your unit in and out or suspend mode.

January 10, 2012
5:32 pm
Lucky-Lizard
Members

I've had my eXplorist 610 for 5 months and use it on a regular basis. During summer and fall, I used it almost daily and in winter it's more of a weekly thing.

Like many people, I have issues with the compass calibration and calibrating it every time I power on the unit is annoying, as sometimes it simply refuses to calibrate. Some days, it'll work beautifully. It's an odd issue.

Also like many people, I get the dreaded spinning compass issue every so often. A reboot usually solves this, but rebooting is sometimes a time-consuming thing, especially when the device decides to index the database.

But in hindsight, I can live with these issues, because a firmware update will hopefully fix this.

My REAL annoyance, is the battery life. On a typical afternoon of caching, I need to change batteries once or twice. I've got a set of four Sony Ni-Mh 2500mAh rechargeables, as well as four Infinicell Ni-Mh 2500mAh batteries. The Sony batteries were purchased around the same time as the GPSr unit and the Infinicells are a couple of months old.

When compared to my geocaching partner's Oregon 450 unit, my batteries last 2, maybe 3 hours tops, while his will last days, using the same type of rechargeable batteries.

I've taken many measures to save on battery usage; I always power down my 610 and never use the suspend mode. My screen brightness is at 50% and the backlight is set to turn itself off in 10 seconds.

Still, with these measures taken, my unit rarely lasts more than a couple of hours on a set of fully charged batteries.

Any suggestion? I love my Magellan GPS, but all of these issues are making me considering a different brand of GPSr altogether.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1340

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

Jasonrep, hunter84, Swadswen, KerentO, RobertExelf, DoorvanS, SormatsV, sabercycle, NotrodW, FornetC

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

Experiencing several issues with my 610 unit. | Bug Reporting | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply