710 Dies when "calculating route" | Bug Reporting | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
710 Dies when "calculating route"
February 27, 2012
11:08 pm
KDub
Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5351sp_Permalink sp_Print

My 710 is still performing much better since the defrag.

As far as rechargeable batteries are concerned, I'm having really good results with the Eneloop HR-3UTGA 2000 mAh. I'm using the Powerex Wizard One MH-C9000 Charger.

Also, since the latest firmware update I'm not getting the battery bleed-off issue any more. Never had the spinning compass issue so maybe I dodged a bullet there.

Basically I'm a happy camper.

February 27, 2012
9:27 pm
Jaker
Members
Forum Posts: 61
5350sp_Permalink sp_Print

denisetdoris wrote:

Anyone with Energizer NiMH's would do well to toss them in the recycle bin and buy some LSD-type rechargeables !

----
Couldn't agree more!
Found this out the hard way when I was using thaat brand in my camera.
They work fine if you charge them and use them immediately.
Leave them overnight and they lose half of their charge. Just junk.
Not so sadly, mine are no longer with me.

Jaker

February 27, 2012
7:52 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 422
5349sp_Permalink sp_Print

Since I did the defrag, there's been a marked improvement in the units' performance. It functions better and changes screens more quickly. I've come to confirm that the 2450mAh Energizer NiMH's ARE actually junk. I bought a President's Choice charger w/ 4aa's for about 20 bucks. These are 2000mAh batteries, low self-discharge. I charged them when new, slapped a set into the unit and turned it on. Connected to USB power and left it in my frozen truck all day and evening, and when I disconnected the power cord it was still reading full, on Rechargeables setting. After 3 days in the unit, it now shows 3/4 full on the display and powers up without issue.

Anyone with Energizer NiMH's would do well to toss them in the recycle bin and buy some LSD-type rechargeables !

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.
February 18, 2012
3:52 pm
ki4amd
Members
Forum Posts: 6
5317sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's correct, just plug the GPSr into your computer, select the two disk drives that come up and run a standard Windows defragment on both of them. My 710 runs like a dream since I did this. It's easier on batteries, doesn't bleed off while powered down and can operate well with right up to the end of a pair of batteries.

February 4, 2012
11:46 pm
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 280
5235sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK - after posting my previous note, I continued to read the thread and learned that a "defrag" may be a solution. I performed a defragmentation of the "Magellan" disk and now the GPSr boots up in 40 seconds with no mention of low batteries or going into that "Indexing" mode. The SD file didn't need defragmentation, but I performed defrag on it in any case.
What is also interesting is that I was able to calibrate the compass for the first time since I loaded 6.05!

February 4, 2012
11:22 pm
jmgazer
Members
Forum Posts: 5
5234sp_Permalink sp_Print

610 with 6.32 takes 38s to boot up with map and info.

Jim

February 4, 2012
11:14 pm
pprass
Members
5233sp_Permalink sp_Print

denisetdoris wrote:

With fresh rechargeables, it starts loading up... before getting to the map screen I get a warning "Replace batteries". I press OK, it continues. Sometimes it gives the warning again, sometimes no... the screen goes blank, and I have to press Power to have it continue startup...

I am experiencing the same problem with my 610 with 6.05 update. Even with just newly recharged batteries I get the "Replace Batteries" message and then to make matters worse it goes into "Indexing" mode :angry:
It sometimes takes 2 to 3 minutes to start up the GPS - my old PC takes less time and it has loads more applications than the 610.
I went on a caching trip with a couple of guys who had a Garmin Oregan and Monteray and when they replace batteries they are using their units within seconds!
This is really annoying and I would like this to be looked at.

February 4, 2012
11:04 pm
pprass
Members
5232sp_Permalink sp_Print

denisetdoris wrote:

With fresh rechargeables, it starts loading up... before getting to the map screen I get a warning "Replace batteries". I press OK, it continues. Sometimes it gives the warning again, sometimes no... the screen goes blank, and I have to press Power to have it continue startup...

I am experiencing the same problem with my 610 with 6.05 update. Even with just newly recharged batteries I get the "Replace Batteries" message and then to make matters worse it goes into "Indexing" mode :angry:
It sometimes takes 2 to 3 minutes to start up the GPS - my old PC takes less time and it has loads more applications than the 610.
I went on a caching trip with a couple of guys who had a Garmin Oregan and Monteray and when they replace batteries they are using their units within seconds!
This is really annoying and I would like this to be looked at.

February 1, 2012
3:26 am
denisetdoris
Members
5189sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Phil, that's just about close enough to match mine. There's a 35-40 second improvement since before these tests, and I don't necessarily always use Sockeye's maps, in which case boot up will be around 40 seconds with the Maggie topo map. Thanks to all for the input, and suggestions.

BTW the defrag did work after deleting 1.5 GB of maps from the card. Was it ever messed up ! Now I can add back the Toporama maps as I do use them from time to time.

February 1, 2012
2:37 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564
5186sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, I have 4902 geocaches, 1688 waypoints, 19 GPX files, 15 tracks and 12 maps on my 710.
With the Summit + City series enabled it takes 45 seconds to power up.
With Sockeye's USA North enabled it takes 60 seconds to power up.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
January 31, 2012
7:29 pm
denisetdoris
Members
5179sp_Permalink sp_Print

If anyone has Sockeye's latest CanMatrix maps loaded, try enabling at least one of the .imi maps, and do a reboot to confirm my results. US maps will probably do the same.

EDIT -- did a few more tests, did a Defrag after deleting a bunch of maps, now down to about 65 seconds. Can't say if it's because of the defrag or the extra room on the card, but if it saves me a half a minute, I can live with that. I'll not be using rechargeables until I get a set that's worth using, and a smart charger for them. AA's are always on sale lately anyway 😉

January 31, 2012
8:23 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 677
5178sp_Permalink sp_Print

I will ask Richard as Magellan and see what he says. I just tried a test with mine to see how much of a difference it would make. I enabled 10 of the RMP maps that I have on my SD Card to see if it slowed the boot process down on my 710, but it didn't make any difference. I have 110 of them loaded onto the chip which takes almost 15Gb and they were made with Triton RMP and converted with Sockeyes RMP tools. Anyway, I'll see what I can find out.

David

January 31, 2012
4:49 am
denisetdoris
Members
5176sp_Permalink sp_Print

Deleted all but the Canmatrix.tpo and my 3 local maps, as well as the 80 Toporama maps for the region. Same results - 1:20 . About 25 seconds quicker than with All those maps active.

Sockeye, is there something you might know about your maps that might explain why they're longer to load than the Magellan ones (other than the fact they have twice or 3x the useful data in the layers) ?

January 31, 2012
4:17 am
denisetdoris
Members
5175sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just wrote up a response then the internet crashed again. I'll try again.

Startup NO card = 40 sec.
Startup with card and Maggie'sCanada map = 40 sec.
Startup with card and all CanMatrix maps active (including submaps)= 1::45.
Startup with ONLY 3 Canmatrix submaps active = 1:20.

So the Sockeye maps take longer to load than Magellan's. David, can you ask them what the difference is for the unit, as to whether one map or another is active ? Maybe if I had those on the unit it might load faster..... etc.

I'm going to delete any excess maps and keep testing. More news later.

January 31, 2012
3:52 am
David
Members
5174sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok - I have one more question. Try deleting all of the caches on the unit and then go into MediaImagesGeocaches directoy and delete all of the images. I've notice that deleting the caches doesn't delete all of the images and over time the directory becomes huge and it slows my GPS down. Other than that I'm at a loss. I have a 16gb SD in mine with 15Gbs of maps on it as well as 100 waypoints, 14 routes 8 tracks and the 2700+ geocaches and the "Use SD Card" is unchecked and my GPS is booting in under 40 seconds and runs fine. One thing that I also do is to clear the Geocaching Summary everytime I reload the unit.

David

January 31, 2012
3:21 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 258
5173sp_Permalink sp_Print

Denis,

My 710 boots up to map screen in 31 seconds with 2000 caches. The majority of caches are in 1 gpx file and a small number in another file. I agree with David, the more individual gpx files on the unit the slower the boot up, as they are index together to form one single cache file.

With all the information you have loaded, how much free memory do you have. The lack of free memory could easy slow things down.

Graham.

January 31, 2012
1:53 am
denisetdoris
Members
5172sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did defrag both the microsd and the unit, unit wouldn't completely defragment - only 2 or 3 large files essentialy, no room to move them around. I might remove the background map, defrag, then reload the map as a test. The 8G Microsd I had to remove 1/4 of my maps, it's completely packed full of maps, so it would defrag. I then transferred the maps back. No difference (other than the compass working right).

I have 1 geocache gpx file on the unit, with 2500 or so caches on it, with pics in the Image/Geocache folder for the ones that have photos on the cache page. I have the "Use External Storage" option unchecked, so it will save to the unit. If the option is checked the geocache finds won't be found with VP when connecting after a caching run (nor will new caches I've hidden). I also have a dozen or more tracks, 6 or 7 routes, 2 or 3 Waypoint files (one with my waypoints, and a couple for the PQ's). All of my 3rd party maps are on the MicroSD (8 gig Class 4). I might remove the card tonight and try without it, to see if there's a difference in startup times. I'll post my news later.

Thanks David 😉

January 30, 2012
11:19 pm
David
Members
5171sp_Permalink sp_Print

KDub,

Can you please send me a copy of the defrag program and anything instructions I might need to get it working. You can send it to ZukiCacher@gmail.com...

Thanks,
David

January 30, 2012
10:32 pm
KDub
Members
Forum Posts: 1
5170sp_Permalink sp_Print

ki4amd wrote:

Update on this bug. It has been quite a while since I defragged the 710's memory and it's still running great. I also noticed that it has better battery life while operating, and my power-off run-down issue seems to have been cured also. Defragging the memory was a real miracle cure on my 710!

I can confirm similar results on my 710 as well. My 3rd party defragmentation tool (O&O Defrag) reported 43% fragmentation internal and 27% external. Looking at the detailed cluster reports from the analysis it would seem to me that a mobile based 400MHz CPU would have quite a bit of extra work to do (in the form of seek times) during file I/O operations.

Normally this would be a risk on a device such as a mobile phone since those types of units are still accessing file data while plugged into the PC but not so on these standalone types.

I would also like to add that large files such as map data files can/will be fragmented across the drive during transfer from the PC so deleting the file from the GPS before copying over will not necessarily reduce the probability of the file fragmenting.

I haven't measured battery performance and it still takes a little under a minute to boot up but map load times are significantly faster and menu access is a bit more snappy. Another issue I had where turn-by-turn audio would stop working until I unplugged the unit from the cigarette lighter adapter has also not been seen since doing this defrag.

Thanks for the tip!

January 30, 2012
9:09 pm
David
Members
5167sp_Permalink sp_Print

Denis,

How many GPX files are loaded onto the unit? In the past I noticed that slow boot time has more to do with the seperate number of GPX files more than the total number of caches. I currently have 2700+ caches loaded in one GPX file and my unit boots in 39 seconds. However, I would also ask that you allow the unit to completely boot a couple of times withiout crashing and see if the boot time decreases due to the fact that the unit will re-index all of the data following a crash.

Please let me know what you find out.

David

January 30, 2012
8:16 pm
Jaker
Members
Forum Posts: 61
5166sp_Permalink sp_Print

Denis, just wondering if you tried the defrag that you mentioned in an earlier post.
I can feel your frustration and just to inform you that my unit (I just tried it cold and loaded, but without satellite signal) it took 31 seconds from touching power button to map screen. I have only 10 caches and two saved tracks and no media though. Hoping this issue gets resolved for you shortly.

Jaker

January 30, 2012
7:54 pm
denisetdoris
Members
5165sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just tried, first load was still set to Rechargeable. Set to Alkaline, and shut off and restarted, and loaded normally. I know those batteries are junk (Energizer) as I've had them before, some 2300's. Hated them too.

As an aside, it would help if it didn't take nearly 2 minutes to load the unit from Off. My Windows XP computer loads faster than that and it's 8 years old. There's no realistic excuse for a handheld GPS to take 1:45 seconds to turn on, memory testing and whatever (and that's without counting how long it takes to get satellite signal), something can be skipped I'm sure, to get it down to a minute or less. Please forward our displeasure to Magellan about startup time as well.

January 30, 2012
4:35 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
5163sp_Permalink sp_Print

Denise,

I’m using the same batteries with battery type set to rechargeable with no problems since the firmware update. I’ve only seen that in the past with flat batteries. Did it work OK with another set of batteries?

Graham.

January 30, 2012
2:22 pm
denisetdoris
Members
5162sp_Permalink sp_Print

With fresh rechargeables, it starts loading up... before getting to the map screen I get a warning "Replace batteries". I press OK, it continues. Sometimes it gives the warning again, sometimes no... the screen goes blank, and I have to press Power to have it continue startup. Then it finishes the startup procedure. Either the batteries are no good (energizer 2450 with <30 charge cycles), or the latest firmware has caused an issue. Can you confirm if they've done anything with the Rechargeable battery setting ? I remember there was a glitch with that a while back.

January 30, 2012
8:46 am
David
Members
5157sp_Permalink sp_Print

Denis,

Can you give me a little more information as to what you mean by your 610 being on crack? If there is reproducible I need to report it...

Thanks,
David

January 29, 2012
5:28 am
denisetdoris
Members
5142sp_Permalink sp_Print

How does that work, the defrag ? Just plug it in, then select the x10 and defragment it, that's it ? Same with the MicroSD ? I might try that, a couple of "issues" since the most recent FW.... my 610 seems to be on crack lately, it buggers of on a tangent when starting up !!!

January 28, 2012
11:18 pm
ki4amd
Members
5141sp_Permalink sp_Print

Update on this bug. It has been quite a while since I defragged the 710's memory and it's still running great. I also noticed that it has better battery life while operating, and my power-off run-down issue seems to have been cured also. Defragging the memory was a real miracle cure on my 710!

November 27, 2011
6:03 am
phild31
Members
4619sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm glad you found a solution.
A problem that used to happen is a file would sometimes get corrupted somehow and would cause problems.
It was the UGDS.BIN file in the USR folder.
Whenever I reload files to my 710 I always delete the UGDS.BIN file, the unit generates a new file when it indexes the data when you unplug it.
I do that automatically every time I have the unit plugged into the PC so I didn't think about mentioning it earlier.

November 27, 2011
3:07 am
ki4amd
Members
4618sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phild, I was already using external memory to store everything that I could easily store there, but thanks to your advice about memory, I tried plugging the 710 into my laptop and defragging both the SD card and the internal memory. Problem solved! After doing that (even with somewhat deader batteries) it successfully calculated several routes. I would never have dreamed the problem could be memory related.

November 24, 2011
12:06 am
phild31
Members
4609sp_Permalink sp_Print

The batteries will not last long, no matter what brand or type of batteries, these units eat batteries!
If you are having a bleed-off problem on the shelf try removing the batteries and leaving them on the shelf with the unit.
With my 710 I measured a current flow of one half milliamp while shut down. That would take 4,800 hours to drain my 2400 mAH sanyos.

A few of us on this forum have done some extensive battery testing.
If you expect 8 hours of use you will be disappointed.
In suspend mode you might get 8 hrs.
But I don't use suspend mode, I just change batteries when needed.
The longest use I have gotten from any batteries was 6 to 7 hours using Energizer lithium AAs.
Duracell were the best alkalines I tested.
I found the Radio Shack brand were not very good.

I'll get 3 to 4 hours out of good alkalines or Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables.

Of course battery use is totally dependent on how you use the unit and temperature.
Take some pictures, record some voice memos, do some turn x turn directions, leave the backlight on, look for some geocaches, in other words if you actually do anything you will use up the batteries.

There is nothing anyone can do about this, any and all devices that do the things these units do have the same battery usage issue.

November 23, 2011
4:11 pm
ki4amd
Members
4607sp_Permalink sp_Print

The batteries don't last long. I haven't done a real scientific study on it, but even if I'm using suspend mode pretty heavily, it will polish off a pair in less than eight hours. I've also observed the power off bleed-down. I have resigned to grabbing a new set of batteries every time I get the GPS out after more than a few weeks on the shelf.

Battery terminals are clean. The first time I observed the bad shut-down I was operating on Kroger brand batteries (definitely not high-quality). I started using Enercell (Radio Shack brand). In the past Radio-Shack brand batteries have always performed well for me and they tend to be less expensive than Energizer or Duracell. Before I turn it over to Magellan, I'll try it with Lithium batteries. If it does this with Lithium batteries there is definitely a problem.

November 17, 2011
6:23 pm
phild31
Members
4591sp_Permalink sp_Print

My 710 did this a few times.
I seem to have been using too much memory on the internal memory.
When I put all my maps and images on the SD card it never happened again.

One other thing to check - the 'Media'> 'images'> 'Geocaches' file will not be deleted when I load a whole new set of geocaches.
It grew and grew to be a huge file!
Whenever I'm deleting or changing all my geocache files I always go to the
'Media'> 'images'> 'Geocaches' file first and clear it before I load anything else.

November 17, 2011
5:40 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
4590sp_Permalink sp_Print

ki4amd wrote:

Once she's gotten into this pattern I have to get external power to get her out because she tries to calculate the route immediately on start-up.

I have not had my 710 die like that.

If the unit is in vehicle profile (turn-by-turn) and goto (route) is still set from when the unit was last on. The unit on start calculating the turn-by-turn route as soon as it is turned on again.

Graham.

November 17, 2011
5:40 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
4589sp_Permalink sp_Print

ki4amd wrote:

Once she's gotten into this pattern I have to get external power to get her out because she tries to calculate the route immediately on start-up.

I have not had my 710 die like that.

If the unit is in vehicle profile (turn-by-turn) and goto (route) is still set from when the unit was last on. The unit on start calculating the turn-by-turn route as soon as it is turned on again.

Graham.

November 17, 2011
3:04 pm
Brent Owen
Members
Forum Posts: 62
4588sp_Permalink sp_Print

This has happened to me when I had no batteries and was running off of external power in the car. My thought was that the cheap USB power device I had did not have enough current to do the job when the GPS was calculating the route and talking to me. I never run it without batteries in it now because my first 710 got corrupted somehow when I took the batteries out of it while it was running.

Try the following: Make sure the battery terminals are clean and making good contact. Try different alkaline batteries (shot in the dark, maybe they are not that good). Try rechargeable batteries.

Most likely you are using good brand name batteries, and your terminals are clean so I am not being very helpful.

How long does your GPS run on alkaline batteries? I am wondering if it draws too much current and is faulty. You may have to send it in for service/replacement.

November 17, 2011
2:15 pm
ki4amd
Members

When I was shopping for my Explorist I think I saw a review by an owner whose complaint I remembered when mine first did this about a month ago. When I'm in vehicle mode, navigating by turn-by-turn with alkaline batteries (haven't tested lithium yet) the 710 just DIES when the voice starts to say either "calculating route" or "proceed to the highlighted route." I'm not sure which she's saying because when it dies the voice is cut off abruptly in a couple of scratches and squeaks. It's behaving as if the batteries were removed at the instant I tried to calculate the route. It works fine on external power. I do have the battery type option set to Alkaline when this happens. This also happens with fresh batteries. I've also tried lying to it and saying they're rechargeable, but that doesn't help. Once she's gotten into this pattern I have to get external power to get her out because she tries to calculate the route immediately on start-up.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1355

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

YmpoRefT, Davidutere, Merrilldak, maskisa, AbanaTut, Nicanor89Mef, NancyGuine, JoeyGluse, Robertsop, Gregoryedura

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

710 Dies when "calculating route" | Bug Reporting | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply