610 will not shut down | Bug Reporting | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
610 will not shut down
February 4, 2012
5:58 pm
jmgazer
Members
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5229sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK I got the new 610 last evening, set it up and took a walk to pick up my mail, starting "Trip". It worked well for the half mile in my Mobile Home Park; so it looks like I have one that works, hope it lasts. The service from Mitec was very good, only 2 days, and for my troubles and cost of returning the unit I got another cable, and two new lithium batteries (I hadn't opened the originals), I'll save them for future field use.

Jim

February 1, 2012
5:47 pm
jmgazer
Members
5199sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's a message I posted on Yahoo Explorist Group, hope the problem is solved.

"Just got an new in sealed box Explorist 610 yesterday, put fully charged NiMH batteries in it and fooled around for about 2 hours and got a low battery warning. Put fresh Alky's in and couldn't bring up the suspend, shut menu. Pulled batteries, then had trouble starting again, but finally started so I connected to the computer and upgraded to Ver 3.62 successfully. Booted up fine, but still could not exit. Finally after several hours it booted up and worked fine, then after several cycles it would not boot at all. Called Mag support and tried several tricks, no boot, they decided it was defective and they will replace it. Didn't even get put on hold except for idle time for one of the trials. I have a GC which works fine, but wanted the additional features of the 511, but the 611 was less costly. I hope the replacement which is supposed to be new works well, it does have a lot of complicated features."

Jim

February 1, 2012
9:58 am
jmgazer
Members
5194sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jaker:
The first set of newly charged 3000 mah batteries only lasted a couple of hours at most, then I switched to alkys which show full charge; it booted up again a few minutes ago, but shut down automaticly before I could connect to my computer since I had changed the standby and shutoff times. OK it just came on when I plugged it into the computer, I deleted theUGDS.BIN FILE, It rebooted and I changed the suspend an shutoff times. Still cannot get the shutoff menu to come up. Batteries show full charge (screen capture is off). Very strange, will call Mitech tomorrow.
Just took a picture! Everything else works.

Thanks, Jim

February 1, 2012
4:55 am
Jaker
Members
Forum Posts: 61
5191sp_Permalink sp_Print

jmgazer,
These units can go through a set of batteries very fast and since this is your first day with it you have been probably using it quite a bit. I know this is probably dumb but could it be just low batteries?

Jaker

February 1, 2012
12:50 am
jmgazer
Members
5185sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just got mine today, could not get the suspend, shut down menu to come up, pulled batteries, now will not turn on; did that once and had to leave for a few hours then started ok. Occurred again, now it wont boot up again; will try later this evening. Google found these messages.

Jim

October 26, 2011
2:40 am
Boondeck
Members
Forum Posts: 62
4429sp_Permalink sp_Print

You got it. That was it. It's a fascinating little tool we've got here.

October 26, 2011
1:32 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1564
4427sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, cool.
Ya learn something every day, thanks.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
October 26, 2011
1:17 am
soleful2001
Members
Forum Posts: 91
4425sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you set the alarm clock the sleep button will become available.

October 26, 2011
1:14 am
phild31
Members
4424sp_Permalink sp_Print

At least it was an easy fix for your problem. :silly:
I don't get a 'Sleep' option on my 710, just 'Suspend' & 'Power Off'
Also I don't depend on VP for update notifications, I check Magellan's page every few days.

Pulling the batteries doesn't seem to hurt anything.

October 26, 2011
1:14 am
soleful2001
Members
4423sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was checking the manual today because I too wanted to know the difference between sleep and suspend. Sleep button is only available when you have a timer/alarm set. Check your alarm settings. You may have the alarm clock on.

October 25, 2011
11:55 pm
Boondeck
Members
4422sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's not a dumb question at all. This morning when I was walking the dog I was working through the menu trying to learn everything I could and I did switch on the screen capture and I hadn't turned it off. That was indeed the problem.

Interestingly, I did not get your post right away and have been working on downloading the firmware. I came up with a couple of interesting situations. I went first to VP. It told me there was a new firmware available 6.04. That was interesting because I already had 6.05 in my unit. I tried it anyway. Got right to the end and received a message that the firmware was not compatible with my unit.

I went to Magellan and found firmware 6.05. I downloaded it. Everything went fine except that I still couldn't turn off the unit. It was then that I discovered that I had left the capture screen on. Obviously, the power button is not going to work for both things--duhh. :huh: Anyway now the power off button works, but I have a new element. There is a sleep mode option along with the suspend that I don't remember being there before--or is my Alzheimer's just catching up with me? B)

October 25, 2011
10:19 pm
soleful2001
Members
4421sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Boondeck,

Dumb question here, but is your unit in screen capture mode? This will prevent you from powering down until you disable it.

October 25, 2011
8:50 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 284
4419sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, when pressing the pwr button for longer than 5 sek, you're doing a reboot. This function is also avail, when in USB-mode or anywhere else. this is a normal behavior.
😉
Since the "switch off" is a part from the software, it looks like, something in your firmware runs outta control. So I'd reinstall the firmware.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ
October 25, 2011
6:53 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 422
4418sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had bought a GC last year and returned it for EXACTLY that reason. Never had that on my 610. I did see the "Restarting Device to Improve Performance..." thing happen this weekend for 20 minutes straight, at least 8 times. It stopped once I zoomed the screen in by one level. Go figure.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.
October 25, 2011
5:50 pm
Boondeck
Members
4416sp_Permalink sp_Print

As you said "It was worth a try". Unfortunately it didn't work. I always hold my breath when I do something like that wondering if it will keep running. When I unplugged it, it did reboot and runs normally, but I still can't turn it off.

By the way, does turning it off by pulling the battery have any negative effects on the OS as you might get by not properly shutting down windows on a computer?

PS Is there any way you can go into the menu and find a command to shut down the unit besides using the button?

October 25, 2011
5:30 pm
phild31
Members
4415sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't remember hearing about this problem before but a possible solution is turn it on, connect to the computer and open the 'Removable disk' for the device.
On my pc it shows as Removable Disk (E)
The SD card shows as Removable Disk (F)

Open Disk E
You'll see a list of files, open the USR file.
In the list of files that now shows delete the UGDS.BIN file.

Sometime that file gets corrupted and messes up a lot of things.
That UGDS.BIN file will be regenerated by the GPSr when you unplug it.

I don't know if this will fix it but it might so it's worth a try.

October 25, 2011
3:39 pm
Boondeck
Members

This morning for the first time I ran into something new. My x610 booted up fine and ran fine. BUT when I went to turn it off it would not turn off. Normally you push on the button and a screen come up to suspend or turn off. That screen will not come up. If I hold the button for about five seconds the screen goes dark and it completely reboots. There is no way I can get it to stay off without pulling a battery. Once off I can replace the battery. It stays off and reboots normally but it will not come up with the screen for turning off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1355

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 999

Newest Members:

YmpoRefT, Davidutere, Merrilldak, maskisa, AbanaTut, Nicanor89Mef, NancyGuine, JoeyGluse, Robertsop, Gregoryedura

Administrators: JungleGhost: 286, Mike: 25

Comments

610 will not shut down | Bug Reporting | Forums — 1 Comment

• PLEASE FORGIVE OUR AUTOMATED RESPONSE

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply