610 Canada issues | Bug Reporting | Forums

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
610 Canada issues
January 25, 2012
12:35 am
Forum Posts: 35
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5077sp_Permalink sp_Print

A GPX file can contain multiple tracks, routes, waypoints, geocaches, etc. Each of these items can have a name, which is stored as a field within the track/route/etc. information. The file name does not really have anything to do with any names assigned to its contents.

Tracks are exported to the SD card as a single file that contains every track on the unit. There is a similar export feature for the other item types. VP provides a similar function using the exchange/export function, although there is no restriction on the types of information that can be combined. This requires that the items to be exported must be explicitly identified. The procedure prompts the user for the file format and the file name.

I use the same technique as Phil. I use the sync function in Vantage Point to import new tracks into VP. Each track has the same name that it had on the x10. The x10 provides a default name but this can be changed by the user, although I have never had reason to do so. I assign the name that I want with VP. If I want to save the file, I use the exchange function to export a single track at a time and specify the file name that I want as part of the export dialog. Although sometimes I create a single file containing a set of related tracks.

A reasonable suggestion might be to allow VP to provide a default file name, possibly based on the first item in the collection or if only a single item is exported. Similarly, the x10 might allow the user to override the default name used for the export function, although I feel that this might be an unnecessary complication.

January 24, 2012
10:54 pm
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Forum Posts: 1564
5074sp_Permalink sp_Print

I save my tracks to Vantage Point and they have the name I assigned them in Vantage Point.
If I want to save them somewhere else I export them from VP to my files and they have the name I gave them.
It's only a problem if you don't use VP to save them.
Also I don't keep all my saved tracks on the SD card, only the tracks I'm going to need that day.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout
January 24, 2012
9:02 pm
GS Rider 2003
Forum Posts: 11
5072sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maybe i should be more specific.When i Export tracks to the SD Card with a title name the GPS writes down a string of letters and number as file name.So i have to keep track of the numbers to a specific file name or else i will be confuse with all this strings of numbers.But when you Import the saved track,the track come back with the name you gave it.To keep track of your files it should keep the name you gave it to manage your files, i said it should be.So that's way i think its an issue.I find strange that there is not much of complaints about a pour engineering like this.

January 22, 2012
4:10 pm
Forum Posts: 422
5042sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's not really an issue, just the way Magellan saves their track names. Not very convenient, is it ? You probably don't save it with that file name but Maggie puts that tag on the file name. Might be the waypoint and date/time that the track started at.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.
January 20, 2012
3:41 pm
GS Rider 2003
Forum Posts: 11

HI everyone
I have had a 610 for one month and have many issues like the spinning compass and one that i did not figure if its a problem.Its when i want to safe a route our track from the internal mem to the sd mem.The name i have put on the route doesn't appear on the sd mem card,it is identified by a long sling of numbers.Not really useful,just wondering if someone has the same issue.
Robert. 😉 😉

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 99

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phild31: 1564

David: 677

denisetdoris: 422

S!G: 284

pprass: 280

ShortcutHicksy: 258

jmebd: 193

Sockeye: 173

Caotix: 142

Paganel: 120

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 5

Members: 1309

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 15

Forums: 45

Topics: 998

Newest Members:

RolterB, wingover1, Geronr28, GoracQ, KindzaZ, Tim, Diego, Antoniovor, Jamil

Administrators: JungleGhost: 285, Mike: 25

610 Canada issues | Bug Reporting | Forums — 1 Comment

Concerning your inquiry on this website. Unfortunately, we do not respond to service questions posted in the comment section of this website. If you wish to have a member of our forum assist you with a solution then post a MESSAGE on this website. May we suggest, that you JOIN the Forum. MEMBERSHIP is FREE. Do a search for your problem. If you do not find the answer then please post your question under the appropriate section. Do not use the comments section or your inquiry will not be answered. Joining is free and in this manner, both we and our membership can provide solutions. This method will also help other members. Regards, JG

Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply